Glotmorf on 25 Nov 2002 23:02:07 -0000

[Spoon-business] Proposal: Philosophy

I propose (yes, propose) the following:

{{ _It's My Party and I'll Go Postal if I Want To_

[[ ...go postal if I want to, go postal if I want to...you would go postal too if it happened to you. ]]

Each player has an attribute called Philosophy.  A player can set eir Philosophy to a short phrase that indicates the player's attitude with regards to the game, so as to give other players some idea of what to expect from em.  An accompanying explanation of the player's new Philosophy is optional, but encouraged.

Through a proposal, a Mandate of a Philosophy can be created and added to, or deleted from, a Body of Philosophy maintained by the Administrator.  A Mandate of a Philosophy consists of an explanation of the Philosophy, and can also include a statement of a permission not available to players who don't hold that Philosophy if said permission is accompanied by a restriction not imposed on players who don't hold that Philosophy.  Permissions and restrictions in a Mandate have the force of rule.

A player can set eir Philosophy to one with a corresponding Mandate, or to one with no Mandate, but cannot change eir Philosophy more often than pnce per nweek.

}}

This was inspired by Orc's Races, thinking in D&D terms.  I thought of calling it Alignment, and allowing players to declare things as Lawful Good, Chaotic Neutral, etc. but decided that would be too limiting.  I could see the Baron being Anarcho-Romantic (from the Cerebus book, High Society, which really makes me think of the last few days), whereas I might be Cogno-Intellectual (from the Journal of Irreproducible Results and their experiment to introduce meaningless terms into US vernacular).

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix1.1sound.com/ivoryminitower