Glotmorf on 3 Oct 2002 22:00:33 -0000

[Spoon-business] Cleanup on Aisle 1073!

{{ _Cleanup on Aisle 1073!_

[[ Okay...there are various problems with r1073, as demonstrated by my current ownership of WBE.  About half of it is redundant, and some of it is illegal.  Taking it piece by piece:

"There exists a Society called Weathy Bastard Enterprises, or WBE."

Redundant, and potentially in conflict with r578.H, which says a society goes away if all its members leave.  Granted, there are other rules that depend on the existence of WBE, but if it should go away in its current form, the odds are some other asshole will create a new WBE.

"WBE has a Resource Pool of BNS."

In the charter, and insufficient.  The society will need a Raw Materials pool too.

"WBE has a number associated with it called its Raw Materials."

In violation of Rule 2 (uniquely identifying names) in combination with Rule 21 (which defines Raw Materials).  Instead the society should have a Raw Materials pool declared in its charter.

"There exist passable SO's called Wealthy Bastard Service Garages. A player who is on a Service Garage or in a square consecutive to a Service Garage may give Carryable Objects in eir possession to WBE. When this happens, the object is destroyed, and the Raw Materials increases by a certain amount."

Needs to be "and WBE's Raw Materials increases".  "The" raw materials, according to r21, is infinite in quantity.

"Only the following types of Grid Objects may be given to WBE, and they increase the Raw Materials by the amount following them:

Beer Cans 10
Balls of Wax 10
Towels 10
Piles of Kindling 15
Big Sticks 20
Athames 20
Small Lumps 30
Sledge-O-Matics 40
Shields 50
Large Lumps 70"

When I came up with the Technologies idea, it was for taking proprietary things like this away from the Wealthy Bastards, at least enough that they can be copied.  Now that I are one, I still intend to do this; each of these will probably be a separate Technology, called Beer Can Recycling, Towel Recycling, etc.  For now, at least, they'll stay here.

"One member of WBE is said to be the Wealthy Bastard, or Boss. All other members may be refferred to as Employees. At the beginning of each nweek, 55 BNS is transferred from WBE to the Boss of WBE, and 11 BNS is transferred from WBE to each Employee of WBE. The Wealthy Bastard may change either of these two salaries by declaring so in a public forum."

Redundant, covered in charter.  And probably should have been worded so that the rule is automatically updated.

"Non-employee players may join WBE if they request to join, and the Boss declares that they may join."

Redundant, covered in charter.

"The Boss may oust any employee from WBE at will."

Redundant, covered in charter.

"If at any time WBE has no Boss, the employee who has been an employee the longest becomes the Boss."

Redundant, covered in charter.

"The Ministry of WBE is a Ministry. The Ministry of WBE may only be held by the Boss of WBE. The Minister of WBE is responsible for keeping track of WBE's finances, salaries, and raw materials."

In conflict with Rule 625.B.2, which says a Minister can be stripped of eir ministry.  Besides, I think this would be better handled by the Accounting Minister we've been discussing for Wonko's Corporations.  If anyone's interested in the doings of WBE, I'll be happy to report them...though they won't be much until I get the Raw Materials pool created.

So...the new Rule 1073:

]]

Replace the text of Rule 1073 with the following:

There exist passable SO's called Wealthy Bastard Service Garages. A player who is on a Service Garage or in a square consecutive to a Service Garage may give Carryable Objects in eir possession to WBE. When this happens, the object is destroyed, and WBE's Raw Materials pool increases by a certain amount.

Only the following types of Grid Objects may be given to WBE, and they increase WBE's Raw Materials pool by the amount following them:

Beer Cans 10
Balls of Wax 10
Towels 10
Piles of Kindling 15