Jorg Rathlev on 15 Mar 2001 20:18:25 -0000

spoon-business: I pay my debts (sort of...)

> >> Debts are not Objects as defined by Rule 316/0.
>
> I Rule: FALSE

:-)

I take the following actions:

1. I currently own two debts, one with a value of 7 and one with a value of 10 Points. I divise these debts so that I have 17 debts with a value of one Point each.

2. I repay one of my debts by transferring one Point to myself. I repeat this action until I have repayed all debts in my posession.

3. To prove that I was allowed to do 1. and 2., I make the following RFJ:

--
Statement:
A debt is payable to the debtor unless e transferred ownership of the debt.

Analysis:

According to rules 319/0 (Points Owed) and 358/0 (Motion for Payment) [[these two rules are actually quite similar]], an Agent who owes Points is a debtor and the Agent to which e owes Points is a creditor. Rule 358/0 defines this pending Point transfer to be a debt.

Rule 347/0 defines that debts are Objects (proved true by RFJ 28), and that a "debt is always owed by its creator". Obviuosly, the debt is owed by the debtor, so e must be the creator of that debt.

As stated by Rule 347/0, Agents may create debts "in their own ownership". Since Objects may not be created except as allowed by the rules (R316/0, Objects), the only possible way for the debtor to be the creator of the debt is to have created it in eir own ownership. Therefore, as long as the debtor does not transfer ownership of the debt, e is the owner of that debt.

Rule 347/0 states that "The player to which a debt is payable is the same as the owner of that debt.", i.e. the debtor. Thus the debt is payable to the debtor.

[[Ownership of debts should probably be transferred to the creditor automatically, but it is not.]]
--

Joerg