Joel Uckelman on 22 Feb 2001 21:52:59 -0000

spoon-business: Dependency Fix

There are a number of errors in R346, and I don't think that Proposals
failing by dependence should be considered "withdrawn". Also, a small
change to R229 will prevent us from having to amend it every time we add a
new adoption condition.

I submit the following Proposal, entitled "Proposal Dependency: I Need My
Fix":

BEGIN

1. Retitle R346 to "Motion Dependency" and amend it to read as follows:

"The owner of an Approvable Motion may specify a condition for its adoption
in addition to the standard conditions required by the Rules.

Whenever an Approvable Motion would be adopted in the absence of a
condition added by its owner, and it is no longer possible for that
condition to be met, the Motion fails by dependence.

No scoring may occur due to failure by dependence."

2. Amend the first sentence of R229 to read:

"An Approvable Motion is adopted iff it is subject to and receives consent
or at the close of voting on it its passage ratio exceeds one-half, and all
other adoption conditions applying to it are met."

And add as the last sentence of the first paragraph:

"An Approvable Motion fails when its adoption becomes impossible."

END

--
J.