Joel Uckelman on 5 Oct 2000 05:13:51 -0000

spoon-business: competing error-correction proposal

I am offering the following proposal:

<Proposal>
<Title>Motion to Amend Trivially</Title>

A Rule may be unsubstantially amended if a Motion to Amend Trivially naming
that Rule is adopted. Motions to Amend Trivially are Privileged Motions.
Motions to Amend Trivially are automatically subject to unanimous consent,
and fail if unanimous consent is not given.

The Motive Order corresponding to an adopted Motion to Amend Trivially
directs the Administrator to make appropriate changes to the Rules.
</Proposal>

I think this is a better way to go about correcting typos, grammar, etc. in
the Rules, for the following reasons:

1. It's more responsive. Anyone can make one of these motions on finding a
problem, rather than being forced to convince the Pedant that it should be
done.

2. It's less restrictive. XnJester's proposal sets very strict limits on
what can be corrected, and how quickly. It is entirely possible that the
grammar in a Rule could be mangled so as to necessitate the change of more
than three words, though it would not be so bad as to be unintelligible.

3. It doesn't create another unelected position. I would rather see all
future Offices be elective (and lest ye think I want this to maintain my
position, I would also like to parcel out many of my current duties to
them).

[[Note: do to some technical difficulties this evening, the proposals won't
show up on the page until tomorrow... Sorry.]]

--
J.

--
Play Nomic!