Joel Uckelman on Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:33:10 -0600 (CST)

Re: [hosers-talk] imap servers?

Thus spake "Jon Stewart":
> As lame as webmail normally is, it would still be very nice to have. I
> love nmh, but it sucks for attachments. If someone sends me a picture, I
> usually just forward it on to my yahoo account to look at it, rather than
> doing an mhstore and scp'ing the picture around. Webmail is good with
> attachments. And sometimes a good ssh client just isn't available.
> Finally, I can set up an email server with webmail and let newbies (read:
> Erin) use it, while maintaining full control over the data.

I could set up squirrelmail on charybdis. Would that be useful?

> I really wish nmh development wasn't stuck in the stone age. The project
> seems to have been killed, more or less, by the savannah attack last year.
> It's a good example of how baroque software turns to rubble; they had to
> emulate all the stupid little "features" of mh, and now they've got an
> albatross of a codebase.

I remember reading some discussion on their mailing list about starting
over completely. There is a lot of cruft there, many features which just
aren't needed anymore. If I didn't already have a project, I'd join them.
I rely on MH more than any program other than vim.