Joel Uckelman on Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:20:24 -0600 (CST)

Re: [hosers-talk] imap servers?

Thus spake Tom Plagge:
> > As lame as webmail normally is, it would still be very nice to have. I
> > love nmh, but it sucks for attachments. If someone sends me a picture, I
> > usually just forward it on to my yahoo account to look at it, rather than
> > doing an mhstore and scp'ing the picture around. Webmail is good with
> > attachments. And sometimes a good ssh client just isn't available.
> > Finally, I can set up an email server with webmail and let newbies (read:
> > Erin) use it, while maintaining full control over the data.
>
> If you have an X server running, it's pretty easy to deal with attachments
> by modifying your .mh_profile's mhn-show-xxxxx lines.  Just have it pop up
> xview or something.  And naturally, you can have a .bashrc line that chooses
> the appropriate .mh_profile for your terminal when you log in.  That's how
> I had it set up on my old mail server, though I haven't implemented it yet
> on my current one.

Or you could use exmh when you're using X and mh when you're using a
terminal. Most of the time when I'm using MH directly I'm doing it from
a remote terminal where I couldn't see a picture anyhow.

> Yeah, it's really lame.  I'm almost motivated enough to start hacking it
> myself, but I just got a gmail account so I might just switch over to that
> instead.  I really like the idea of MH, but it's just clunky enough to
> annoy me on a consistent basis.
> -t

If the day comes when I can't build MH for my system and I can't find a
suitable replacement, I will start hacking on it myself, even if I'm the
only one doing it.

I've tried to replace exmh before (due to some problems which have been
corrected in the current version) and found that it was hard to get graphical
mail readers to play nice with MH. It is a hard requirement for me that
whatever mail system I use be available both from a terminal and with a
GUI, and that one not step on the other's toes.