Joel Uckelman on 30 Oct 2003 04:57:46 -0000

Re: [hosers-talk] how to bring back that 2400 baud feelin'

Thus spake "Jon Stewart":
> You never drink your coffee anymore while the websites load,
> and there's no delay like before in your fingertips...
> whoa, baby, here's how to bring back that 2400 baud feeling:
>
> 1. Set up linux machine at home on 768down/256up DSL.
> 2. Turn on X11 forwarding in sshd_config.
> 3. Have your IT manager install stealth encryption software on your
> network at work, so all traffic is slowed down by crypto that ostensibly
> keeps crackers from sniffing developers' source code.
> 4. Install cygwin/xfree86.
> 5. startx and ssh into your linux box.
> 6. Launch mozilla remotely.
>
> This may just be unusable. <sigh> Mebbe I can tune it, so it's more like
> 9600 baud. I'd sure like not having my web browsing monitored.

Be sure you have X compression turned on. That should save you a lot of
bytes traveling back and forth.

Even then, however, you might be facing too much overhead created by all
that indirection. I gave up on displaying on the DECstation in my office X
apps running from home, even though I have DSL at home and the UW's fat
pipe at my office.

--
J.