Jon Stewart on 4 Aug 2003 18:51:24 -0000

Re: [hosers-talk] what sucks

> "Jon Stewart" sez:
> >1. Using ssh and rsync (under Cygwin for my Win2K box), mirror my home
> >directories across all machines automatically.
>
> I don't know what rsync is, but why not just leave your home directory
> on one of the machines and mount it over the network from the others?
> That's what Murph does on our internal network here.

That would be fine for enabling parallel builds.

However, it doesn't accomplish simple backups. rsync uses MD5 hashes to
maintain synchronized file systems. It is good stuff. It's not really a
big deal if a hard drive crashes and I have to reinstall the OS and
related software. It is a big deal if I lose my data. Since I don't have
that much data (at least, if I discount my mp3s, which are all ripped off
CDs in my possession) maintaining copies of stuff on three machines is
a pretty good, hassle-free hedge against disk failure.

Since I've never experienced a disk failure in all the years I've been
using PCs, I figure I'm due within the next decade.

Jon
--
Jon Stewart                                 Advanced Los Angeles C++
stew1@xxxxxxxxxxx                           http://www.alacpp.org