Tom Plagge on 24 Mar 2002 19:27:28 -0000

Re: hosers-talk: RS/6000 console

> How old of an RS/6000 we talking here? Are the serial ports like Mac
> serial ports (ie. round, not trapezoidal)? Mac serial ports are RS-232,
> just like on PCs (well, mostly... there might be a gotcha' or two, but not
> insurmountable ones), so if that's the case, this should be possible.
>
> Can you describe this RS/6000 and its serial ports more? Goddamn, I love
> old hardware. How's that VAX working, Josh?

This thing has a DB25 serial port, like you used to find on PC's and
workstations back in the early '90s and before.  It's an MCA machine
just like the old PS/2's, except with a POWER processor, and it's
unsupported by every free Unix out there with the possible exception
of some ancient Mach Linux hack.  I also have this sweet SCSI tape drive
for it, so I'm thinking of having this thing just sit in my room and
constantly back up my work directory.  To a big-ass tape.  How cool is that?

I coveted Josh's VAX--as it was, I had to try out VMS on an Alphastation
that I picked up.  I've since sold it and its space is being taken up by
an HP 9000 that's serving up web pages as we speak.  Old hardware does rock.
-Tom