Jon Stewart on 22 Mar 2002 23:22:29 -0000

Re: hosers-talk: RS/6000 console

> In addition to the old AS/400 I have sitting around in my room at home,
> I now have an RS/6000 running some old version of AIX.  It has a Power
> processor (not a PowerPC, but close) and a bunch of serial ports on the
> back; with my official IBM terminal, I can get an AIX login simply
> by plugging into one of them.
>
> I'm at school now, though, and the terminal is at home.  I want to use
> the serial port on my PC.  I gather from Google that the IBM serial
> setup is sort of braindead, using some sort of nonstandard pinouts, but
> I thought maybe one of you (Jeff?) might know how to deal with it.
> Anybody?

How old of an RS/6000 we talking here? Are the serial ports like Mac
serial ports (ie. round, not trapezoidal)? Mac serial ports are RS-232,
just like on PCs (well, mostly... there might be a gotcha' or two, but not
insurmountable ones), so if that's the case, this should be possible.

Can you describe this RS/6000 and its serial ports more? Goddamn, I love
old hardware. How's that VAX working, Josh?

Jon
wants to get a PDP-11 someday
--
Jon Stewart 					Animus Software
President, Animus Software			(202) 841 - 7291