Joel Uckelman on 9 Sep 2001 01:05:51 -0000

Re: hosers-talk: recommendations

Quoth "Jon Stewart":

> Let's say I wanted to develop a Linux application using X. Performance
> requirements might be kind of extreme; there definitely wouldn't be a
> gigahertz proc running it. Anyone know of some good lightweight toolkits?
> I wouldn't need anything fancy, just something that would run well in a
> demanding environment. And all I need at this point is something to put
> down on paper, it's not something I couldn't change my mind about down the
> road.
>

> Jon

I like Gtk. It most likely has bindings for whatever language you want to code in. I've never used Qt (which is what KDE uses), but only the Linux version of Qt is free. If lightweightness is the highest priority, you might consider using Tcl/Tk. I believe Tom has some choice words on coding in Tcl/Tk, though.

--
J.