Joel Uckelman on Sat, 1 May 2004 01:41:21 -0500 (CDT)

[hosers-announce] click, click, click

This evening my replacement drive started making exactly the same clicking
noises as the one I was using in charybdis only a few weeks ago. Since this
drive is clicking much more frequently (every 10 seconds or so) than the
drive it replaced, and I have no more drives, I was forced to switch back
to the original, dying drive.

During the process of partitioning the old drive, the new drive began
clicking constantly, and is now completely inaccessible. Hence, I wasn't
able to recover any data from it before it died. Thus, the old drive was
restored to the state things were in around 4:00am CDT on 30 April. Any
changes made since then are irretrievably lost.

I'm sure there are lots of things on charybdis which don't work right as a
result of the restore. (I know, e.g., that the RPM database is hosed.) I'll
be attempting to address those problems in the morning.

These events have hastened my plan to upgrade scylla and pass the parts
down to charybdis. At the same time, I plan to give charybdis a RAID, which
I presume will be sufficient to prevent my ever having to do this again.

--
J.