Malcolm Ross Kinsella Ryan on 5 Aug 2002 02:19:06 -0000

Re: [hosers-announce] spam filtering?

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 05:10:43PM -0500, Joel Uckelman wrote:
> Thus spake Jeff Schroeder:
> > I would be interested in using a filter provided that 1) mail delivery is
> > not delayed and 2) the filter is initially set to a low threshold and
> > gradually raised if necessary.  I don't want false-positives.
> >
> > Based on web sites, it seems to be common to just tag the likely spam, and
> > continue with delivery.  I'd be happy with this because I will still get
> > the message if it is a false positive, and I can automatically filter the
> > tag on my end.
> >
> > jeff
>
> Yeah, that's one of the things Spam Assassin can do, by inserting an 'X-Spam'
> header or something. I like that as a solution, because it lets the user
> decide what to do with messages so tagged.

I've been using Spam Assassin for some time. I monitored what it was
filtering out for the first few months, and in that time I never had a
false positive.

Malcolm

--
Malcolm Ryan - malcolmr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~malcolmr/
  AI Dept, CSE, UNSW, Australia, Phone: +61 2 9385-6906 Fax: +61 2 9385-4936

        "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"
                                                       -- Romans 10:15