Bill Jaffe on Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:28:21 -0700 (MST)

Re: [eia] French do, in fact, break the Austrians (does it matter, since we both committed the Guard?)

Actually, the only difference is the casualties in the last round, you could
have done 6 more on a 3, and 12 more on a 6.

Otherwise your first rolls were the mirror of mine, I rolled 4 and 3, you
rolled 3 and 4.

The outcome of this battle was determined during the chit choices, Nappy was
likely to succeed in outflanking (hence my recommendation of Probe, of
course I did accept their recommendations).

Bill Jaffe
Wargaming since Tactics (1958), and playing 18xx since 1829
billj@xxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: eia-bounces@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:eia-bounces@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Michael Gorman
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:19 AM
To: public list for an Empires in Arms game
Subject: Re: [eia] French do, in fact, break the Austrians (does it matter,

At 10:08 AM 2/21/2007, you wrote:
>Rolling a 2, +1 nets 15% of 48 - 15 casualties 1st round + 54 outflankers
>doubled (after 1 guard loss), = 141, 15% equals 21, 1 of which must be cav
>
>Allies took 26 total losses
>
>Austria 47.7% = 12.4 (12)
>
>Russia 36.9% = 9.6 (10)
>
>Swedes 6.7% = 1.4 (1)
>
>Turks 8.7% = 1.8 (2)
>
>Naturally there's an odd loss, Austria will "take it."

By the standards of this game, I guess I have to call a tie a win too.  On
the bright side, I knew the outflanking force would arrive as I had to roll
a 6 for them not to and I get 6's about half of their expected rate.  I've
actually started planning forage numbers simply adding one to the map
forage values since I know the odds of me rolling a 6 are so low.

However, on the balance I would say getting a boost of +1 to all strategic
ratings of your commanders and all printed forage values in no way balances
having almost no chance of ever winning a land battle.