James Helle on Sat, 20 May 2006 23:46:41 -0500 (CDT)

[eia] retreat results

Quoting Mike:
I'm inclined to say that since the victor chooses the retreat path, he can
validly choose a path that pins my army against the arrow and forces
surrender.

He could choose to retreat me to Portsmouth, but he is not required to do
so.  So he can retreat me to London and then the SE of London leaving my
clear retreat path to be across the arrow.  I would also see it as
reasonable for him to choose to retreat me to London and then to Portsmouth
if he felt so inclined, but I don't see that he is required to do so.

Mike, if you agree that pinning the French army against a crossing arrow and
forcing a surrender is a valid option then that is what I would choose to
do.  That was my purpose for specifying that a depot garrison existed and
placing a corps SE of London.  However, if you dispute this is a legal
maneuver I will choose a different retreat route.  Do we feel a vote is in
order since this could set a precedent?