Michael Gorman on Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:20:04 +0100 (CET)

Re: [eia] my vote

At 09:17 AM 3/19/2006, you wrote:
    Since we are down to a vote, I will throw in my 2 cents.  I was
reluctant to do so at first because I agree with JJ that the issue is not
clear-cut and could be decided reasonably either way.  I did not and do not
feel 100% convinced that I am right.  However, since we must take a vote to
resolve the issue, I will share what I think.
    My view of the issue is more in line with Joel's position (and at odds
with Bill's).  I think this is a case where the normal interception rules do
not apply.  A) Neither side is "phasing" right now (since this is occurring
during the land phase rather than the naval phase).  B) This situation does
not resemble an "interception" since France has no option to avoid combat.
C) Although the wording in 6.2.6.1 does not explicitly label the blockaded
fleet as the "attacker", it does say that the blockaded fleet is the one
that "chooses to fight".  In my mind, "choosing to fight" is equivalent to
initiating an attack.
    So, barring any additional evidence, my vote is that the French fleet is
victorious and the Russian fleet must be scuttled.

kdh
This sums up my stance as well.

I don't see any way to read 6.3.1.1 as applicable without rewriting it. And if the blockading fleet must be the attacker then I think we need to house rule a change to 6.2.6.1 to include the option to refuse interception to the blockading fleet since the rule is highly abusable if you can force someone to not only be in a naval battle they don't want, but can also force them to be the attacker in the battle.

So my vote is that 6.2.6.1 is an exceptional case and we stick with the spirit that the declarer of the attack is the attacker just as it is in the normal naval phase. Otherwise we have to rewrite two clauses to make the situation fit.