MALabbett on Sun, 19 Mar 2006 15:55:44 +0100 (CET)

Re: [eia] Still disagree with Mark & Mark

I have read and re-read sections 6.2.3, 6.2.4, 6.2.6  and 6.3.1 (and  10.8)
to see if there is an interpretation.

My reading of the rules as they stand are unclear so I borrowed  from my
legal training (many years ago) in English Common Law. Using the golden  rule of
Statutory Interpretation (and it really is more of a guideline) if you  change
the first word of the fourth line of 6.2.6.1 from "fight" to "attack"  then it
resolves the problem.

However I cheerfully admit that I am not a Law Lord...

If you guys are unhappy with this then may I suggest rule 10.8   [Settling
disputes]applies. Each side rolls one die and the winner sunks one  additional
ship to decisively win the struggle. You can even justify this on the  grounds
that Edinburgh in Late May would have 17-18 hours daylight as it is  at nearly
56 degrees latitude, so a tight battle could go on just that  little bit
longer until one side breaks .

Cheers

Mark L