J.J. Young on Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:31:04 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] impasse

I don't know how to feel about continuing the present game.

I wholeheartedly agree with the view that there has to be some kind of "line
drawn in the sand" about continuing a game through your own country's ups
and downs.  This is because I want to feel like there's a reasonable chance
that a campaign game, whether the present one or a new one, can continue
through its whole length, and I can play with long-term strategy in mind.

On the other hand, Joel has been clear that he feels the present game
situation is broken (in terms of players having fun playing), I assume
Sterling and any theoretical seventh player would prefer to start over, and
others might be on the fence but have reasons to look forward to hitting the
reset button.  I don't want to create ill will by forcing the current game
down several players' throats.  Also I must admit that the (apparently)
widespread belief that continuing would simply be a "victory lap" for
Britain would spoil a lot of the fun for me.

So to sum up, continuing the present game feels wrong to me, but starting
over without any reason to think this won't happen all over again after 2-3
game years is disheartening.

-JJY