Joel Uckelman on Sat, 5 Mar 2005 12:44:08 -0600 (CST)

Re: [eia] Question

Thus spake Michael Gorman:

> >I concur.
> >
> >By 11.7, The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies is a multi-district minor with
> >Naples as the primary district, and by 10.4.3, control of all districts
> >goes to whoever conquers the primary district. So Austria should have
> >conquered Sicily at the same time as Naples (which makes the point of the
> >fleet blocking the Strait of Messina moot, since it would stand down upon
> >the capitulation of the Kot2S).
> >
> >Lapse of war applies to whole minors, not their component districts. There
> >are only two ways that Spain could end up with Sicily through lapse of war:
> >
> >1. War lapses with a Spanish-controlled Kot2S, so Spain ends up with both
> >Naples and Sicily together as one political unit, or
> >
> >2. War lapses with Spanish-controlled Sicily, and the Kot2S does not exist.
> >
> >--
> >J.
> If Spain declares war on Austria, I would read that as Spain controlling
> the secondary province and thus the country would not change hands per
> 10.4.3.1.  If Spain didn't declare war, then there would be no way to
> prevent Sicily being conquered simultaneously with Naples.

Can you give me a citation for that? My initial thought was that if Austria
was at war with Spain, then Austria's conquering Naples would split the
Kot2S, like you said, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

--
J.