Michael Gorman on Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:09:38 -0600 (CST)

RE: [eia] Second Battle of Dresden, summary

At 01:19 PM 11/22/2004, you wrote:
> Thus spake "Nate Ellefson":
> >
> > Anyway, we suffered a combined 63 casualties and tied.  As Sherman
> > said, "This is a hell of a war!"  Or wait, no, that was Dan
> Quayle...
>
> Each factor is 1000-2000 men. There were only about 110k
> combined casualties at the historical Battle of Leipzig in
> 1813, so on the high end of the range your absolute
> casualties exceeded those at Leipzig. Additionally, there
> were about 500k troops at Leipzig, and you guys had 177
> factors, for at most 354k troops, making your casualty rate
> far higher.

I'd add that this is on top of 67 factors lost the turn before.
Casualty rates for the two Battles of Dresden:

First: 27.5% (67/244)
Second: 33.7% (63/187)

By contrast, the Battle of Gettysburg witnessed about a 32% casualty
rate, but that took three days.  Antietam had about 18% and Chickamauga
26%, both single day battles.

Perhaps the combat model in this game shades a bit on the harsh side. :)

I'd also correct one thing you said, Joel: France had 85 factors, since
Jim's first statement missed one corps of 10I.

By normal standards of the game, this was an unusually harsh battle though. Typical loss percentages are 5-10%. This battle saw both sides suffering 15% losses in two of the three rounds so it was a particularly brutal battle. You also had one of the two artillery corps in the game present and that did it's part to balance the larger numbers in the Austrian army and keep the loss numbers almost dead even despite a disparity of 20 factors in numbers.

Mike