Nate Ellefson on Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:19:59 -0600 (CST)

RE: [eia] Second Battle of Dresden, summary

> Thus spake "Nate Ellefson":
> >
> > Anyway, we suffered a combined 63 casualties and tied.  As Sherman
> > said, "This is a hell of a war!"  Or wait, no, that was Dan
> Quayle...
>
> Each factor is 1000-2000 men. There were only about 110k
> combined casualties at the historical Battle of Leipzig in
> 1813, so on the high end of the range your absolute
> casualties exceeded those at Leipzig. Additionally, there
> were about 500k troops at Leipzig, and you guys had 177
> factors, for at most 354k troops, making your casualty rate
> far higher.

I'd add that this is on top of 67 factors lost the turn before.
Casualty rates for the two Battles of Dresden:

First: 27.5% (67/244)
Second: 33.7% (63/187)

By contrast, the Battle of Gettysburg witnessed about a 32% casualty
rate, but that took three days.  Antietam had about 18% and Chickamauga
26%, both single day battles.

Perhaps the combat model in this game shades a bit on the harsh side. :)

I'd also correct one thing you said, Joel: France had 85 factors, since
Jim's first statement missed one corps of 10I.