Joel Uckelman on Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:25:41 -0600 (CST)

Re: [eia] conquests

Thus spake "Nate Ellefson":
> What's the controlling rule that says that the French garrison at Kassel
> stays put? I can't find it, and I must confess to finding it odd that
> because I'm laying siege to the capital I'll still have to fight for the
> country, but if my corps were in the woods north of the capital I would
> have Hesse free and clear.

I think that repatriation occurs only as a result of making peace. 10.5.2
covers the effects of Instability on minors, and makes no mention of
repatriation at all. Unless someone points out a contravening rule, it's
my opinion that all of the French stay put despite a change in control of
the minors.

So, to answer your question, I do not agree that you would have Hesse free
and clear if your corps were in the woods north of Kassel. As a sanity check
on what seems to be the received interpretation of rules: Does ayone think
that the French would leave just because someone with no army, say the Duke
of Hesse-Kassel, told them to?