Nate Ellefson on Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:40:03 -0500 (CDT)

RE: [eia] Russian Land Phase, December 1805

> > >It's unclear to me whether the besieged Spaniards can join in the
> > >battle at Jerusalem, since 1) I'm not sure whether this
> counts as a
> > >Limited Field Combat (7.5.4.2.3) and 2)  it's not Spain's
> Land Phase
> > >right now.
> >
> >          I believe they can but are not required to.  Since the
> > Turkish
> > force is a besieging force it looks like the Russian force
> has to attack as
> > a relieving force which would mean the force in the city
> could opt to join
> > in the battle.  I think it's one of the few cases when you
> can get a
> > multi-national attacking force without combined movement.
> >           It might also be the only way to get two nations
> at war to fight
> > together.  As far as I can see, if Russia was at war with
> Spain, Spain
> > could still join in the battle against Turkey and the
> winner would besiege
> > the Spaniards.
> >
> > Mike
>
> This is what I was leaning toward.

I would disagree with this line.  I think that Spain should only be able
to take part in the battle if they have combined movement with Russia,
which they don't.  Combined movement is what accounts for coordination
among countries, and that if combined movement isn't there, neither is
the coordination that is required for two countries to fight as a single
force.  In my opinion, in this case, if the Spanish garrison wants to
fight, they'll have to try to break out independently of Russian action.