Kyle H on Sat, 27 Mar 2004 10:08:03 -0600 (CST)

Re: [eia] Email procedures

    Diplomacy happens all the time.  As you say, feel free to email anyone
about anything at any time.
    Once upon a time, we discussed time limits for taking turns, but then we
couldn't agree on an enforcement mechanism that was fair.  So there are no
official time limits, but we all strive to respond within 24 hours of when
our response is required.  So checking email at least once a day (if not
more) is desirable.  Now we all understand that crap happens.  Sometimes a
player's computer goes on the fritz.  Sometimes we take vacations.
Sometimes we have mountains of grading to do.  We all try to be
understanding when someone is slow because we know these things happen.  But
in the absence of extraordinary circumstances, we would hope you could check
and respond to email at least once a day.
    The general run-down of a turn goes like this:
    Declarations of War escrow (everyone responds and results are revealed
simultaneously).
    Political Phase escrow (everyone responds and results are revealed
simultaneously).
    Naval/Land Reinforcement Phase in the order Spain,
France(naval)/GB(land), Prussia, Austria, Turkey, Russia,
GB(land)/France(naval).  (This is another House Rule: we have combined most
countries' naval and land orders.  Only GB and France have split
reinforcement phases.  However, as you have seen, I am in favor of resolving
this phase in an escrow, too.)  Many people send in their reinforcement
phases early if their orders don't depend on anyone else.
    Naval Phase in order.  Again, many people go early if their orders don't
depend on anyone else's.
    Land Phase in order.  Again, many people go early if their orders don't
depend on anyone else's.
    Economic Phase (once every 3 turns).  There is no order for this.  Just
send it in whenever it is ready.

    The resolution of one entire turn takes anywhere from a week to a month
of real time.  The more "action" that is going on, the longer things take to
resolve.  We are always looking for ways to speed things up, though, so if
you have suggestions, we'll be happy to consider them.

kdh

kdh