Michael Gorman on 26 Feb 2004 19:18:30 -0000

Re: [eia] Comparing things

The problem seems to be that realism arguments favor both sides. That a minor contributor to a battle might get more credit or more blame than they deserve for a victory or a defeat is not at all hard to imagine or provide examples of.

I'm happy playing with either rule although I will probably bring back up the issue of whether or not a garrison factor counts you as being part of a battle. It doesn't make you there for defeat purposes at all so I'd say it's arguable that it doesn't make you there for victory purposes either. The one clear example where points are given for a battle with a garrison is a relief battle and I can certainly see the rescuer getting all the glory rather than the rescued.

That add on to the discussion aside. I do think the back cover has a more complete rule and it's for that reason that I think it is what was intended originally whether or not we decide it is the best way to do things. My reasoning for this is that the interior of the book wording does not include the possibility of a multi-national force while the land combat rules clearly do allow for that possibility and devote large portions of the rules to describing exactly how they function. You can infer a way to read them to include those forces, but it is not explicit. The back of the book rule explicitly deals with multi-national forces and the political ramifications of using them.

The problem with either way is that they are both clearly both realistic and unrealistic at the same time so neither reading will be entirely satisfactory. I do think we need to come to some sort of settlement for how we will play and then ignore when it doesn't make sense and be happy when it does.

I'm going to have to come down as neutral since I think both cases are trying to model how the press responds to an event and plays it back home. Since the press response is not inherently tied to reality in any way, we're making it up with either solution.

Mike