Joel Uckelman on 24 Jan 2004 17:41:53 -0000

Re: [eia] battle of Turin wrap-up

Thus spake "Kyle H":
>     In the first round, the French side inflicts 2 casualties and 0.8 morale
> damage.  The Lombards inflict 0.5 morale damage and 0 casualities.
>     In the second round, the French side inflicts 6 casualties and 1.6
> morale damage.  The Lombards inflict 0.5 morale damage and 1 casualty.
>     In the third round, the French side inflicts 1.0 morale damage (causing
> the Lombards to break) and 2 casualties (one of which must be cavalry).  The
> Lombards inflict no morale or casualty damage.
>     Because the Lombards just barely inflicted 1.0 total morale damage and
> because the battle lasted 3 rounds, the pursuit class is 3.  A roll of 3
> results in 15% of 5 which is 1 cavalry equivalent lost in pursuit.  Since
> the Lombard corps only has 2 inf. factors remaining, the pursuit loss must
> be a cavalry factor.
>     Total losses for the battle are 1 inf. factor for the French side and 9
> inf. and 2 cav for the Lombards.  The Lombardy corps is reduced to 2 inf./0
> cav.
>     If it is possible to do so, France will immediately detach 1 inf. factor
> as a garrison at Turin.  (Can I do this?  I thought I could, but I can't
> find a rule supporting it.)  France gains 1 political point, Austria loses
> 1.  Austria still needs to roll for a leader casualty.
>
> kdh

The rules for detaching a garrison are in 7.3.2 which deals with land
movement. Land movement has to be done before combat starts, so I'm
inclined to think that garrisons can't be placed after combat.
--
J.