J.J. Young on 5 Dec 2003 21:08:23 -0000

Re: [eia] Access

Although I can see what you're trying to say, Mike, these are the points
that lead me to disagree with you:

1.)  As has already been said, the turn and phase system of the game is
arbitrarily imposed on what is actually a continuous flow of decisions, both
political and military.

2.)  The access of foreign troops across national borders is a matter which
would be decided by the national governments, not by local military
commanders.

3.)  The game designers have designed the flow of the game (again,
arbitrarily) to put the decisions made by national governments into the
Political Phase, to set the stage for the military Phases for the month.

4.)  In the military phase comes decisions that could be made by the local
commanders, like where to march, who to attack and how, etc.  But the
framework for these local decisions, such as which nations are enemies and
what borders it is and is not OK to cross, have already been made in the
Political phase.

So I think the Political phase is the right place for access changes, and
nothing I've heard so far has changed my mind about this.  But I didn't want
anyone to think that I wasn't listening (er, reading) because I hadn't
spoken out yet (or recently).

-JJY

By "setting the stage", I mean things like who's at war with whom,