Michael Gorman on 9 Oct 2003 15:36:31 -0000

Re: [eia] limited access revisions

At 04:16 AM 10/9/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> Well, that may be so, but the only reason
> you'd be foolish not to demand an unconditional surrender is because of the
> unbalanced rules.

No, the reason is because you've over-extended your forces and have left
enemy forces between your forces and your home nation.  This is
frequently a disadvantage in many wargames.

-Everett

I'm going to have to point out that the way this game is balanced unconditional surrenders should be quite rare. One of the things I like about EinA is that it encourages limited wars in the style that Europe actually fought wars. Wars to the complete defeat of an opponent weren't really that common and unconditional surrenders are typically going to cost more than they are worth in this game.

Using an unconditional peace term which is unlikely to be available in most wars as a way to balance something really doesn't work since that term will seldom be available. There has been only one unconditional surrender in the game thus far and that was only because all the terms that would be chosen were negotiated in advance, so it was a very conditional unconditional surrender. No one has come even close to winning a true unconditional surrender and it is unlikely we will see more than a few of them in this entire game.

Mike