Michael Gorman on 1 May 2003 18:58:00 -0000

Re: [eia] a try for a simple solution to 12.4

Taking that into account, here's a modified proposal:

1. At the time peace is made, any garrisons in formerly enemy territory are,
at the owner's option, repatriated to the nearest city in friendly territory
that can hold them.

I'm not entirely happy with this as that can involve a lot of movement points if you're invading Russia or Turkey from the west. Part of the difficulty you're supposed to have in invading those nations is getting back out in a timely manner.

In western Europe, this solution will likely never involve more than a turn, maybe two of movement points, but in Astrakhan or Armenia, it's 4-5 months of movement to get to the Austrian and Prussian borders. You barely have enough time to walk corps out without naval transport. If you have to zig-zag and collect garrisons, you don't have time at all. Hand waving that you can do it doesn't make much sense when it isn't actually possible to get all those garrisons without more corps markers to do it.

I think we're working too hard to protect garrisons.

Maybe this means that you delay peace one turn so that an economic phase will pass in the three month period and you get to buy new corps markers. Maybe this will mean people will have to look at negotiating armistices and cease fires rather than just final peace agreements. I don't see this as a bad thing at all.

If everyone knows how the peace time access is run, then everyone can know if they can afford to make peace in a given month and this becomes a non-issue. I think it's only a problem because we don't yet have a rule in place on how to run peace time access. Once we write the rule, then the issue of garrison extraction becomes just one of the many logistical issue you have to deal with when fielding an army and really, it's not likely to be a big issue very often. And if it is, there's already a surrender term in the game meant to deal with it.

2. A ground unit in formerly enemy territory may move only by satisfying one
of the following conditions, using movement points as the distance metric:
 a. The ground unit ends its move nearer to the nearest accessible friendly
area.
 b. The ground unit ends its move nearer to the nearest of the former enemy's
ports.
 c. The ground unit ends its move nearer to the nearest enemy area, and the
nearest enemy area is nearer than the nearest friendly area.
d. The ground unit begins its move in an area that can be reached overland by
an enemy unit from that enemy unit's current location during that enemy unit's
next move.

I don't think there needs to be a nearest requirement. A lot of the concerns about forcing particular paths go away if you drop that and let forces go to the most useful border rather than the nearest. Yes, it opens rooms for abuses and diplomatic nastiness, but that's just part of the game. The supply chain risks of using this option to invade someone else should be sufficient constraint.

3. No land unit may cross into formerly enemy territory without an access
agreement.

This I fully endorse.

Oh, the one uncertainty I have in this reading is whether or not ceded territory counts as formerly enemy? My feeling is that it does, but I want to make sure I'm in agreement with others on that point.

This would allow corps in ceded territory to be covered by this access which would solve the stranding issue if a corps gets isolated by ceding of discontinuous minor states or provinces and also prevent my reservation on point 1 from having all the corps involved in the attack suddenly departing enemy territory by having it become friendly.

We had talked about modifying B.7 to cover some of this, but I then realized that under our modified reading, Britain cannot be forced to cede territory under B.7 as it is adjacent to no one. It also would mean that in joint efforts like the attack on Russia, nations not on the Russian border could never be allowed to have provinces ceded to them under B.7 since they would never be adjacent. Spain, for example, if it did not control Sweden, would have no adjacent provinces in Russia and thus could not have territory ceded to them with an unconditional surrender.

Currently, neither Britain nor France have adjacent territories so they cannot have Russian provinces ceded to them.

Britain can never have provinces ceded to them unless they have minor states and in no case can anyone take British territory without an unconditional surrender.

So, I'm going to ask that we rethink our ideas on modifying B.7 at this point as well.

4. A fleet owned by or allied to a power that made peace may enter a port in
former enemy territory if a land unit allied with that power is in the port
or could enter the port later during the turn.

5. A fleet that enters a port under 4 must embark during the next naval phase,
carrying, at least one land unit if possible. A fleet that enters
Constantinople without an access agreement must exit the Dardanelles into the
area through which it entered.

I think this is fine but it should be no problem if a fleet remains in port if it is possible in the new turn that a corps could arrive. This deals with JJ's concern that someone could delay a corps one month and tack a big delay on the corps getting out of the country by forcing the fleet to depart and return. Yes, someone could choose to park their fleet in a port and never pick a nearby corps up. But, so what?

So, I think we should strike point 1 and remove the nearest requirements in point 2.

Yes, I know you guys have talked for a while about point 1, but until I sat down and read the entire proposal as a unit and thought about how it would work in possible future wars, I thought it was fine. Then I decided I really didn't like it and went back to thinking that choosing the time for a peace treaty so you can buy more corps counters will solve almost all of these problems with the already existing diplomacy phase.

Mike