Joel Uckelman on 28 Apr 2003 20:49:01 -0000

Re: [eia] [escrow] October 1805 Political Orders

Thus spake "Kyle H":

>     Thanks for this response.  My problem was that I had forgotten to move
> the Spanish fleet from Cartegena to Barcelona on my physical map.
>     But when I thought that Spain's fleet was still at Cartegena it occurred
> to me how ridiculous our current interpretation of  4.2.2.3 is (the
> "physically impossible" rule).  On our current interpretation, we are saying
> that it is "physically possible for the declaring major power to enter the
> minor country's territory during this turn" when it is merely conceptually
> possible for the major power to build a new corps.  But that interpretation
> places virtually no limits on a major power.  Because, after all, *some*
> type of reinforcements come every month.  October is a militia reinforcement
> month.  So (if Spain's fleet were at Cartegena) Spain could say, well I
> *could* build a new corps with the militia factors I have due this month.
> And I *could* transport that corps by sea.  Therefore it is physically
> possible for me to enter Algeria this turn.  Same goes for November.  If
> Spain were to make the declaration in November (under the same imaginary
> conditions), Spain could say, well I *could* build a new corps with the
> cavalry factors I have due this month.  And I *could* transport that new
> corps by sea to Algeria.  ...  The point is, there will never be an occasion
> where building a new corps in a port city of the home nation is not at least
> a conceptual possibility.
>
>     To be overly pedantic (philosophical?), I think we have confused
> "physically possible" with "conceptually possible" in our interpretation of
> this rule.
>
> kdh

I still stand by my analysis of this last time: There is, at the time of
the declaration of war, a chain of events that would lead to a Spanish
corps entering Algeria sometime during this turn.

In the case of the game, I don't see what the difference would be between
physical and conceptual possibility, since the rules define the game
"physics".

--
J.