J.J. Young on 27 Apr 2003 23:29:01 -0000

Re: [eia] rewriting 12.4

If this was how we would end up handling an end to the Russian war right
now, then could the British forces move to St.P for transport home, and
would this require Russian permission, or would it be part of the "limited
access" automatically provided ?

-JJY

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel Uckelman" <uckelman@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <eia@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2003 3:29 PM
Subject: Re: [eia] rewriting 12.4

> Thus spake Joel Uckelman:
> > Here's an attempt at filling in 12.4. I started by asking myself what
> > things should be prohibited? Here are a few that I've thought of:
> >
> > 1. Reentering a major's territory after all corps and garrisons have
left.
> > 2. Entering a province in a major's territory unless at least one of the
> > following conditions are met:
> >      b. Entering the province brings the moving power nearer to one of
the
> > moving power's garrisons.
> >      c. Entering the province brings the moving power nearer to an area
> > within the moving power's own territory.
> >      d. Entering the province brings the moving power nearer to a port.
> >
> > The motivation for the first one is obvious: If you've already left, it
> > makes no difference that you beat the 6-month time limit, you can't come
> > back. The second is to prevent one power from running all over the
> > territory of another. Each of the three clauses address a legitimate
reason
> > for moving through the territory of a former enemy: you're either
marching
> > away, sailing away, or picking up a garrison.
> >
> > I think this address the concerns that Mike had. What do you guys think?
Is
> > this enough? Does this have any weird consequences I haven't considered?
> >
> > --
> > J.
>
> Also, I suppose there needs to be an exception clause dealing with the
Dardanelles, since every other rule has one.

> Here's a better statement, in terms of what is allowed:
>
> For two powers that have made peace, X and Y, where X is the moving
player:

> 1. X's corps may enter a province of Y's if any of the following obtain:
>  a. doing so brings X's corps nearer to one of X's garrisons.
>  b. doing so brings X's corps nearer to an area within territory to which
X has access.
>  c. doing so brings X's corps nearer to one of Y's ports or a port to
which X has access.

> 2. X's fleets may enter a port of Y's if any of the following obtain:
>  a. one of X's corps is in that port
>  b. one of X's corps has entered a province using 1.c. and that port.
>
> 3. X's fleets must leave the Dardanelles sea area via the sea area through
which they entered, unless X controls the Dardanelles.

> How's that? It seems reasonable that a power be able to pick up his troops
by ship, even from Constantinople. (But in the case of Constantinople, you
shouldn't be able to sail out the other side---that was Mike's point about
"unlimited" access and peace condition C.5 being worthless otherwise.)