Joel Uckelman on 27 Apr 2003 19:30:01 -0000

Re: [eia] rewriting 12.4

Thus spake Joel Uckelman:
> Here's an attempt at filling in 12.4. I started by asking myself what
> things should be prohibited? Here are a few that I've thought of:
>
> 1. Reentering a major's territory after all corps and garrisons have left.
> 2. Entering a province in a major's territory unless at least one of the
> following conditions are met:
>      b. Entering the province brings the moving power nearer to one of the
> moving power's garrisons.
>      c. Entering the province brings the moving power nearer to an area
> within the moving power's own territory.
>      d. Entering the province brings the moving power nearer to a port.
>
> The motivation for the first one is obvious: If you've already left, it
> makes no difference that you beat the 6-month time limit, you can't come
> back. The second is to prevent one power from running all over the
> territory of another. Each of the three clauses address a legitimate reason
> for moving through the territory of a former enemy: you're either marching
> away, sailing away, or picking up a garrison.
>
> I think this address the concerns that Mike had. What do you guys think? Is
> this enough? Does this have any weird consequences I haven't considered?
>
> --
> J.

Also, I suppose there needs to be an exception clause dealing with the Dardanelles, since every other rule has one.

Here's a better statement, in terms of what is allowed:

For two powers that have made peace, X and Y, where X is the moving player:

1. X's corps may enter a province of Y's if any of the following obtain:
 a. doing so brings X's corps nearer to one of X's garrisons.
 b. doing so brings X's corps nearer to an area within territory to which X has access.
 c. doing so brings X's corps nearer to one of Y's ports or a port to which X has access.

2. X's fleets may enter a port of Y's if any of the following obtain:
 a. one of X's corps is in that port
 b. one of X's corps has entered a province using 1.c. and that port.

3. X's fleets must leave the Dardanelles sea area via the sea area through which they entered, unless X controls the Dardanelles.

How's that? It seems reasonable that a power be able to pick up his troops by ship, even from Constantinople. (But in the case of Constantinople, you shouldn't be able to sail out the other side---that was Mike's point about "unlimited" access and peace condition C.5 being worthless otherwise.)

--
J.