Joel Uckelman on 17 Apr 2003 19:17:01 -0000

Re: [eia] political points after a battle

Thus spake Michael Gorman:

> What model?  12.4 doesn't tell you what the terms of access are beyond that
> there exists nebulous limitations on it so it is not unconditional.  But
> beyond that it is not unconditional, what does it mean?
>
> I do not see it as at all clear that you can dispatch a corps to pick up a
> garrison after a war without gaining voluntary access for that corps.  As
> the corps is not in the country at the time of the access, it could be seen
> as needing an independent agreement from the rules for voluntary access,
> the 10.x series.  But do any of the rules for voluntary access apply to the
> peace treaty access?  I don't know and the rules seem uncharacteristically
> unhelpful in this case.
>
> There are clear rules for how to handle voluntary and unconditional
> access.  But the 12.4 access is undefined.
>
> Mike

10.3.1.1 explicitly permits our corps to enter neutral minors, so long as
we occupy no cities and build no depots. It should in most cases be
possible to retrieve garrisons without ending a move in a neutral city and
without building any depots within the minor. 10.3.1.1 doesn't resolve what
happens to the garrisons when the minor goes neutral---but supposing that
the garrisons do not evaporate and are not repatriated, it is clear that we
can pick them up.

So what's at issue is whether garrisons vanish, are repatriated, or remain
in place when a minor goes neutral, not whether we can enter minor neutrals
to fetch garrisons.

--
J.