Kyle H on 30 Mar 2003 17:40:01 -0000

[eia] EIH response

    Here is the only response I got from the EIH mailing list about our combined movement snafu.  It is from one of the big-wigs, and since there was no further discussion on the list, I take it that his viewpoint did not meet with any dissent.  His conclusion was that GB and Austria should be forced to go separately and only Spain, Turkey, and Prussia would be considered to have combined movement.  I am not advocating that solution in this instance, but his reasoning is interesting, so I'll let you all read it for yourselves.  (His response follows.  My original question is below that.)

kdh

Hi Kyle,

For reasons I am about to explain, combined movement orders must
always be a closed set. Example|: for {A, B, C, ..} to combine, all
of {A, B, C, ..} must order combined movement with all of the others.

Why? Example:
A, B allied
B, C allied
A, C at war.

A cmw. B
B cmw. A&C
C cmw. B
=> A,B,C combine?!

Now we run into a potential situation where A and C are moving
combined and thus are both the phasing powers during combat.
Obviously, this is impossible, so the correct effect of the above
orders is: no-one combines!

This would be true even if A,C where allied. B cannot change his
orders after they are revealed and as they are now they cannot be
carried out. The whole purpose of writing it down and revealing it is
that you're not sure of what the other powers will be doing. So if
allies screw this up, intentionally or by failing to coordinate,
they're simply out of luck. The rules offer them no alternatives. B
does not have the option of ordering combined moves with (A or C),
only either A, C or (A and C). A little complicated to, but I'm sure
that if you think it through, you'll see this is the only fair
solution.

In this particular case: Sp, Pr, Tu combine; Br, Au both move
seperately.

regards,
Ragnar