Michael Gorman on 30 Mar 2003 06:13:01 -0000

Re: [eia] Spanish Reinforcement Phase (Sept. 05)

At 12:38 PM 3/29/2003 -0500, you wrote:
    My vote is that Spain should have to take back its war declaration.
Like Joel, I was expecting Danny to produce a new corps at Barcelona,
Cartegena, or Cadiz.  To avoid situations like this in the future, I'd say
that declarations of war can only be made if the force necessary to do so is
*already on the map* at the time of the declaration.

That's my opinion.

kdh
I would say that it was only impossible for Spain to declare war if they had not purchased a corps. Otherwise, if they had a corps in hand and factors that could be placed in that corps arriving this turn, it was entirely possible for them to invade. Yes, this interpretation means we have to trust each other to be honest about what reinforcements we have in hand, but I'm comfortable with that.

If Spain did not have a corps available to deploy or no reinforcement factors arriving this turn that could be placed in a corps in hand, then the war declaration would have to be taken back. If that actually matters to anyone else's reinforcement phases, we'd obviously have to allow them to change those phases.

I'm not strongly bound to this opinion if everyone else feels that we should require corps to already be in the field, so I'm willing to give this one up without an argument if everyone else wants to go that way.

Mike