Joel Uckelman on 29 Mar 2003 01:37:00 -0000

[eia] combined movement problem

I need to know how combined movement is going to be handled before I do my
reinforcements. While I agree with Everett that combined movement is blind
only out of expedience, the rule also is insufficiently explicit. I propose
the following criteria for dividing groups for combined movement, giving
the first priority over the second:

1. If two powers did not mutually request combined movement, they cannot
move together.

2. The powers should be divided in a way that minimizes the number of
unfulfilled preferences for combined movement.

Thus, on the supposition that Spain was requesting combined movement with only his allies he knew to be in the war:

Austria may combine movement with neither Prussia, Spain, nor Turkey.
That leaves only Great Britain for Austria to combine with. Should Austria
and Great Britain combine, however, no one else can combine with Great Britain. Thus, 6 preferences cannot be fulfilled---3 of GB's, one each for Prussia, Spain, and Turkey.

Combining GB with Prussia, Spain, and Turkey yields only five unfulfilled preferences: 4 of Austria's, and 1 of GB's.

If we accept the criteria I suggest, I believe that would dictate that Austria moves alone, as I see no way to reject fewer than 5 expressed preferences.

--
J.