Joel Uckelman on 21 Mar 2003 06:18:00 -0000

Re: [eia] speed of the game

Thus spake "Kyle H":
>     Hi guys.  I'm a bit concerned about the speed with which the game has
> been moving lately.  I think we're actually moving *slower* than one month
> per turn at this point.  But here's the thing:  because we've been so
> reluctant to approve the fixing of past mistakes, everyone has become
> hyper-careful about sending anything out before they've checked it and
> double-checked it.  So it's hard to fault anyone for taking extra time to be
> careful...
>     I guess the point is that I don't know what the solution to this problem
> is.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I don't know about you, but I'd
> like to finish this game before my (currently non-existent) kids are in
> college!  :-)
>
> kdh

Yeah, between the end of the game and getting my PhD, it's a tossup as to
which will happen first. :)

It seems to me that some of us respond faster than others; whether there is
anything we can do about this, I don't know. The game has hardly ever been
waiting on me, so for my part there's not much I could do myself to
expedite things. Kyle and JJ are usually also fast to respond. I'm not
*blaming* anyone else for being slower---working 15-hour days, e.g., is a
really good excuse---I'm simply stating what I perceive to be a fact about
response times.

So, here's my question: when we've been waiting a long time for orders,
what is causing the wait? Is there anything that the rest of us could do at
those times to help reduce the wait? If the most frequent answer to the
first question turns out to be "I was really really busy", then there's not
much we  as a group can do about it. OTOH, if something else is happening
then maybe there's a solution.

--
J.