Kyle H on 24 Dec 2002 10:47:02 -0000

[eia] St. Petersburg siege

    Hi guys.  Back when we weren't sure how to handle the St. Petersburg siege, I sent a question to the EiH list, just to see what they'd say.  I got one pertinent reply from a guru.  I think that in the mean time, JJ and Mike have already agreed about all the things that Ragnar says in the email below.  But just in case he says anything useful that you haven't thought of on your own, I'll include the text below anyway.

kdh

--Ragnar wrote:--

Kyle,

Siegecombat is weird at times. Technically, it's even possible that 2
powers that are not at war are obliged to fight each other in a siege.

The rules in classic EiA on when a siege is lifted, started, etc, are
equally vague. Hence there is no definative awnser to your question.

However, failing that, there seems to be no rule from _preventing_
the same besieging force to essentially roll twice for a breach, if
the besiegers are made up of 2 different powers each acting during
their own phase. Siegecombat is fought between defenders and besiegers
(not attackers and defenders!), no matter what they are doing there
or when they are doing it.

So:

A) As long as there is at least 1 corps remaining that declared a
siege during its last land phase, a city remains besieged. Note that
it is not possible to besiege a city with part of a force, all your
corps in the area have to besiege (or not) and if combining that goes
for all powers combined with you as well.

B) A power owning a corps can attempt a breach if it's besieging
during the siege combat step of it's land phase. If powers combine,
there's only 1 land phase and 1 breach attempt, if they don't, they
each get their shot during each of their phases (even though that
sucks, IMO). If either has success, everyone that is part of the
siege fights, simply because they're there.

C) Siege relief combat is triggered by units outside the city
entering the area. In EiH it's only a corps, but iirc, in EiA a
cossack could do it as well. A siege relief combat is a limited field
combat which is, basically, still a field combat. Even though they
are besieging, the Br/Sp forces are still field forces in that area.
I think here the procedure of 7.3.8 can be applied without
problem.

best,
Ragnar

--- In eih@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Kyle <polysorbate80@xxxx>"
<polysorbate80@xxxx> wrote:
>    Here's the situation:  last turn Britain and Spain used combined
> movement and laid siege to St. Petersburg (but did not break
> through).
>    Here are the questions: suppose that Britain and Spain do *not*
> use combined movement this turn.
> A) Would the siege have to be lifted altogether, and if so, when
> would it stop?
> B) If it doesn't have to lifted, which nation (either or both?)
gets