Kyle H on 21 Dec 2002 20:58:01 -0000

Re: [eia] question about multi-national sieges

JJ wrote:
Don't the rules you are refering to about a party not at war with the attacker apply to field battles, not sieges ?

I reply:
    I don't think so.  7.3.8, the introduction to the whole section, reads as follows: "To avoid problems when moving into combat the following step sequence *must* be followed whenever moving into an area containing two or more forces or when using combined movement."  I assume that siege battles are a type of "combat."
    Now there is an obvious lawyer-like response that can be made at this point: since there was no *movement* involved, this section does not apply.  Obviously, I think that response would be inadequate.  (And I am not accusing JJ of making it.  I am just addressing it hypothetically in case anyone thinks to use it.)  Here we must understand spending 0 movement points as an instance of "movement" as far as the rule is concerned.  Otherwise, there would be no rules at all to handle this case, a consequence that is as unlikely as it is undesirable.

kdh