Michael Gorman on 21 Dec 2002 20:28:01 -0000

Re: [eia] dice re-roll policy

I think we are at odds on the scope of this discussion. I'm looking for a general view on how to handle mistakes. Seeing as I can think of at least four of us having made major goof ups in the first 6 turns, it seems likely we'll do it again. That the Prussian orders are similar in intent is not what I'm disputing. He's attacking the same exact places as before. What I'm disputing is ever allowing people to write orders knowing their rolls. If we deal with this case by case, I am going to argue every time we let this happen. I will never be happy with allowing people to write orders after they have rolled and yet keep the rolls. My view is that if the orders are rewritten, the rolls are tossed out whether they were good or bad. You make your new orders on a clean slate. You don't know how things will go and don't have to try to avoid taking advantage of the knowledge.

Mike