Joel Uckelman on 20 Dec 2002 05:26:01 -0000

Re: [eia] Apologies

Thus spake Joel Uckelman:

> Here's a related question: In 1812, why did Napoleon march on Moscow rather
> than St. Petersburg? The answer to that might give us some idea of why the
> designers made the decision they did with respect to the Russian capitals.

I think I have a partial answer to this now: Kutuzov retreated toward
Moscow after Borodino. Marching toward St. Petersburg after the battle
would have put Kutuzov between Napoleon and his source of supply in eastern
Prussia, and so was not an option.

--
J.