J.J. Young on 20 Dec 2002 05:21:01 -0000

Re: [eia] Apologies

The collection of taxes rule in 8.2.1.1 is where the relevant rule is
located.

> Here's a related question: In 1812, why did Napoleon march on Moscow
rather
> than St. Petersburg? The answer to that might give us some idea of why the
> designers made the decision they did with respect to the Russian capitals.

Maybe Napoleon feared naval interference along the coast by GB ?  Maybe the
roads leading from Poland to Moscow were better ?  I know Napoleon's real
goal was to force the Russian army into decisive battle, so it could be
destroyed.  Maybe there were political and/or religious reasons why the
Russians would be more likely to fight for Moscow than for St. P.

-JJY