Michael Gorman on 20 Dec 2002 04:01:02 -0000

Re: [eia] Apologies

Um, *what* are the interpretations of the capital occupation rules that are
in question? As someone who has a capital, I'd like to know...

It only matters to Russia which was given a capital that can be defended and a bleeding wound called St. Petersburg. The economic manipulation rules make it sound like you need to take both in order to stop Russia from getting taxation, but the taxation rules make it pretty clear that you only need to take the easier of the two. There really isn't any interpretation as it is quite clear what the rules say. I simply had failed to realize just how vulnerable Russia was in this game versus in the actual Napoleonic Wars. As every other nation has one capital it doesn't matter to them. My major curiosity at this point is why they have the two capital rule for Russia. I'm not sure why it exists at all. Why not just declare St. Petersburg as the capital as it is by far the easiest one to attack. There isn't any reason for Moscow to be the capital beyond a vague nod to the fact that people had to take it over in the real world. But as they aren't requiring that in the game, what's the point of the nod?

Mike