Michael Gorman on 16 Dec 2002 17:43:01 -0000

Re: [eia] couple more rules questions

At 02:31 PM 12/14/2002 -0600, you wrote:
Thus spake "J.J. Young":

> I think our lives will be much simpler if we assume that garrisons can
> switch duties simulatneously.  Keeping track of exactly which possible duty
> each garrison is fulfilling each turn will add another level of complexity
> to our orders, but this can be done if others wish to do so.

I'm inclined to think that when one factor is garrisoning a port city, only
a small detachment of that factor is actually manning the harbor defenses.
It shouldn't take all 5000 men to do that. The way we measure force sizes
in the game just isn't granular enough to let us track every company-sized
detachment that gets sent off to do something. It seems reasonable that a
depot garrison would be able to send a company or two off to the harbor
without suffering a noticeable decrease in effectiveness.

--
J.
I think you only have to decide if the area is attacked. Otherwise I think it works pretty much as Joel just described it. The forces are where they are needed and as they aren't under attack, they can move about and maintain the necessary defenses easily enough. If the garrison is attacked, they have to decide where to go. So, I guess you could choose to not man the harbor defenses, but that's pretty silly since you could also choose not to fire the defenses and leave them manned.

Mike