menexenus on 18 Nov 2002 20:14:09 -0000

Re: [eia] Battle & seige

   No need to apologize JJ.  I didn't think you were trying to be sneaky.  I
just want to find a general procedure for beginning field battles that doesn't
require us to tip our hands too soon.
   First off, I should say that I take Mike's point that escrow battles need
not be thrown off by the presence of something like a guard corps.  The escrow
is only used for the chit choice.  After that, forces are revealed and it will
be apparent whether a guard corps is present.  So I realize now that the
presence of a guard corps is a non-issue with respect to using the escrow to
take care of battles.
   However, I am still generally opposed to using escrow to resolve (most)
battles and here's why:  if one side chooses Outflank, they are supposed to
split their force *before* finding out what their opponent's strategy was.
When we use escrow, both parties will find out the other's strategy
simultaneously.  This gives players who choose Outflank an advantage that they
weren't designed to have.  Since Outflank is a very realistic choice for the
French in most cases, I will generally want to use a method other than escrow
for battles involving more than one corps.
   (I suppose use of OpenRPG is not strictly necessary to solve this problem.
Opposing players could email their strategies to a third player who could
report the results back to them as dictated by the rules.  Then die rolls could
take place as usual via pbm.  I guess I just like OpenRPG because the entire
battle can be handled in one sitting and because you get to chat with your
opponent during lulls in the action.)

   Ok, to answer JJ's question, I'll be home tonight at around 8 pm (Eastern).
 Would you (JJ) be available to meet online at that time?  Would someone else
also be available to receive our emails and report the chit choices back to us?

kdh