jhelle on 27 Jun 2002 02:25:02 -0000

Re: [eia] Prussia -jan 1805 land phase

>    Yep, Mike's right.  If you wanted to keep your orders as
they are
>written, the corps moving to Lubeck (Mecklenberg) would forage
at 3, the
>first corps moving to Erfurt would also forage at 3, the second
corps moving
>to Erfurt would forage at 2, and the third corps moving to
Erfurt would
>forage at 1.  In retrospect, I think you may have been
forgetting two
>things:  all forage is -2 in winter (except in North Africa),
and corps move
>and forage one at a time.
>    If you stick with the your original orders and their
corresponding
>forage rolls, you're likely to lose a significant number of
factors to
>attrition.  A few options present themselves that might reduce
your risk.
>First, you have a depot at Stettin which is right next to
Lubeck.  So it
>would only cost you $2 to pay to supply the corps moving to
Lubeck.
>(However, you may decide that a forage roll of 3 or less is
worth the risk.)
>Second, you could send the Saxony corps to Erfurt instead of the
3 Prussian
>corps.  Since the Saxony corps is only one space away, it would
forage at 4
>or less.  (And if you lose a factor or two of Saxon infantry,
who cares?
>After all, they have crappy morale and you get them for free!)
However,
>even if you decide not to move the 3 Prussian corps at
Magdeburg, you should
>still consider paying to feed them.  If they sit in Magdeburg,
they would
>all forage at a roll of 3 or less.  (3 base value -2 for winter
-2 for other
>corps in the area +3 for remaining movement +1 for home
territory = 3.)  So,
>even if they don't move, it might be better to feed them from
the depot that
>is already there at $1 apiece for a total cost of $3.
>    Of course, if you really want those 3 Prussian corps in
Erfurt for some
>reason, then it might be best to build a depot ($1) at Dresden
and pay $2
>for each of the three corps moving there (total of $7).
>
>Hope you don't mind a bit of advice.  Let us know what you'd
like to do.

>kdh

remaining. This
>> would leave it at a forage value of 3.
>>          The forces moving to Erfurt will have a more
interesting time.
>As
>> I understand the movement rules, each corps is moved one at a
time and
>> forages at the end of its movement.  I think this is how it
works, I
>figure
>> I'll be quickly corrected if I have misunderstood.  The unit
at the front
>> of the column heading to Erfurt will get the best forage.  A
base of 4,
>> minus two for winter and plus one for one remaining movement
point for a
>> total of 3.  The next unit in line will acquire an additional
minus one
>for
>> an additional corps already being present at the site it stops
moving,
>> leaving it a forage value of 2.  The third will acquire yet
another minus
>> one for the presence of a second corps at the site for a
forage value of
>> 1.  As the penalty for multiple corps already present caps at
minus two,
>if
>> there were additional corps, they would also have a forage
value of one.

>> You might want to alter some of your movement or supply
decisions with
>> these numbers.
>>
>> Mike
>>    Okay.  First,I need to add to my orders and move my leaders
w/ their troops if nobody objects.  Hohen will move to Erfurt and
Brunswick will move to Mecklenburg.
      Secondly,I will pay to supply the troops that moved at a
total cost of $12.  All other troops should forage automatically.
      Any problems/questions let me know.