Kyle H on 3 Jun 2002 20:27:12 -0000

Re: [eia] Corps identities

    That's part of my point.  Since the true identities of corps are
revealed during battles, over time people will be able to deduce which corps
is where anyway.  So why bother with all the secrecy, especially since it
places such a heavy (and important!) burden on everyone?  I mean, it's ok
with me if everyone feels up to the task of keeping track of the identities
of their corps.  I just think things might be a little easier on everyone if
corps identities were public knowledge.

could alter the backs of the chits so that they represent letters rather
than numbers.  And then each individual player could simply write down which
(numbered) corps corresponds to which letter.  That would make corps a bit
easier to keep track of, but as Jason said, over time those who are paying
close attention will be able to deduce which letter corresponds with which
number.  So would it really be worth the effort?  I'm not sure.  Presumably,
a person could write down a key for which corps on the map corresponds to
which real corps just as easily with the counters we have as we could with
new, lettered counters.  So I'm not sure lettered counters would be much of
an improvement.

    (Just in case it wasn't clear, what I was anticipating was that people
would simply put down random corps markers wherever they have corps.  So
even though the map says III Cavalry corps, that corps may in fact be your I
Cav or II Cav, or it could actually be your III Cav...  The point is, we
would all basically just ignore the back of the chit as disinformation.  The
only thing we would take seriously is whether the counter represents an
infantry corps or a cavalry corps.)

    So I guess in the end, I'd prefer that we either make corps identities
public knowledge, or just keep track of which corps is where for ourselves.
I don't care which solution we go with.  I just wanted to bring up the
issue.  As long as everyone feels confident that they are up to the task of
keeping track of each corps's location every month, I'm fine with that.

kdh