Alex Smith on Tue, 12 May 2015 02:57:24 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Administrator's Report 8E.1.4

On Tue, 2015-05-12 at 05:09 -0400, Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:
> It’s really amazing to me how much trouble our Rule 1-4 has been this
> time around, whereas a rule very much like it was a part of the game
> for a really long time while I was playing years ago without too much
> difficulty. My attempt at fixing it is Prop 1-4, but it likely itself
> has some holes. I do begin to wonder if just defining as a Player
> anybody who’s posted to a Public Forum within the last 45 days or
> somesuch may work better, and not even bother with this registration
> business.

Well, messing around with the registrations process is a time-honoured
nomic tradition. It reached the point in Agora, where if someone
registered /uncontroversially/, someone would nonetheless initiate a CFJ
about whether it worked as a joke (on the basis that registrations were
nearly always contested), and such joke CFJs had eventually happened
often enough that they were made illegal.

Incidentally, Agora amended its registration rule a while back because
we thought we'd found most of the loopholes in the old one by now, and
wanted a new one with corresponding new bugs.