Arkady English on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:11:26 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Dipnomicy - revised initial ruleset

On 18 September 2012 17:49, Kerim Aydin <kerim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012, Arkady English wrote:
>> 8. Proposals to transmute a rule require a unanimous vote to be adopted.
>> 9. Proposals which do not
>
> Don't leave us hanging... do not what??? :)

*Embarrassed face*

9. Proposals which do not transmute a rule require more votes for than
votes against to be adopted.

>> 17. Each move submission must contain a rule-change proposal. These
>> proposals are distributed anonymously in the move report.
>> 18. Each move submission, except that of the first turn, must contain
>> that player’s votes on the proposals in the previous move report.
>> Anonymised vote aggregates and results are issued in the move report.
>> 19. Each move submission must contain a legal move for each unit that
>> player controls. Whether each move was successful and the final
>> positions of all units are issued in the move report.
>
> Can you be very clear about what would happen if something were missing?
> Invalidate the whole submission and default to Hold/Abstain?  Tell the
> player privately "you haven't submitted a valid move, try again"?  And
> time limit -if it's "until everyone gets a move in correctly" I'm a little
> worried about the game stalling out.
>
> It's also important to be clear about consequences about missing
> individual moves because failure to submit a move for a single piece
> (or vote in this case), is a nice, old fashioned, Dip strategy ("gosh,
> I *meant* to support you...").
>
> I think it would be better to say from the outset "missing moves default
> to Hold, missing votes default to abstain, but not including a
> rule-change proposal invalidates the whole thing".  Of course, I can
> make this my first proposal submission, but it might be worth being
> clearer at the outset how you plan to treat this just because it will
> affect moves from the very beginning.
>
> -G.

I think the minimal change is to change rule 19: replace "must" with
"should" and add the word sentence: "Illegal, missing or
unintelligible moves will be interpreted as hold moves."

That is best for the game, as it allows it to keep moving, I guess, if
a player goes AWOL.